The year was 1892 and Rev. Gordon with four members present in a three room house on Taylor Street organized the Mt. Rose Missionary Baptist Church. It was reorganized by the late Rev. A.H. Smith succeeded Rev. A. H. Gilmore, and under his administration a structure was erected in 1910 at St. Louis and Crowdus Streets, which represented a landmark in the City of Dallas.
Mt. Rose went on to be blessed with many state and nationally known ministers, each leaving us with a great heritage.
Rev. AA Banks, Sr. Rev. Spriggs
Rev. JC Lott Rev. HB Southern
Rev. GH George Rev. Howard
Rev. Noah Taylor Rev. JB Willis
Rev. R.B Cannon Rev. JE Williams
Rev. Calvin Smith Rev. Benny Mitchell
Rev. Richard Holmes & Rev. Denny Davis
Rev. Cannon will always linger in our memories as one who did the impossible with guidance of the Holy Spirit. The present (3707 Copeland Street) structure was built under his administration. The Mortgage Burning Ceremony took place on Sunday, October 4, 1959. This history fast forwards to May 1992 when the then Pastor Jeffery D. Thomas, Sr. became pastor.
In 1991, Mt. Rose Missionary Baptist Church was without a pastor…and at the recommendation of Pastor CC Robinson, the overseer of the District Association, Rev. Jeffery D. Thomas, Sr. was given the opportunity to preach. The church went on to hear numerous preachers before narrowing it down to 4 in which Rev. Jeffrey Thomas, Sr., was included and after hearing him again, in April of 1992, Rev Jeffery Thomas, Sr. became the 18th newly elected Pastor of the Mt. Rose MBC in it’s centennial year. Under his leadership the membership grew so in November of 2004, Mt. Rose MBC relocated to 820 S. Buckner. While on S. Buckner, under the direction and guidance of the now Apostle Jesse Smith, Pastor Thomas was appointed Bishop in January of 2005 resulting in him overseeing several churches with an international presence on the Ivory Coast in South Africa and in Ghana under the leadership of Pastor Laurant Zeil. Bishop Thomas thought he could settle in at that location, but God had a greater plan for Mt. Rose MBC and due to eminent domain laws, Pastor Thomas found himself seeking another location…and in the midst of an illness that claimed the life of his wife – the Late First Lady Karla M. Thomas, he had to direct God’s people to our current location…7151 Fieldview Lane. Bishop has held several positions in the local, state and national conventions. Bishop grew weary with the traditional way of worship and through much prayer, he officially changed the name from the Mt. Rose Missionary Baptist Church to the Mt. Rose Church with this belief, if you want to know about Jesus and believe on His name, you are welcome. In January of 2009, Bishop Thomas graced the airways with an internationally, nationally, cable, web-based and local weekly hour long broadcast under the name of “Count it All Joy” than ran live for an entire year with an innumerable amount of souls being saved and lives changed. Bishop Thomas is the father of four children; Kris, Krystal, Jeff, Jr. and Jaymein.